Friday, October 30, 2020

sorry mom, love you!

I am no stranger to layers and lowering their opacity. Almost all of the digital art I've made includes a ton of layers that people don't see in the final piece. For my piece this week, I decided to make a collage of multiple images. I layered a bunch of baby pictures of me over a youthful image of my mom.  I lowered the opacity of all them to around 50 to mimic what is written about by Lupton, "To make any image transparent involves compromising its intensity, lowering its overall contrast" (162). 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG_wdNVndQy/
I can't really tell you what this image means. If I can get a little transparent on my blog, my mom has been on my mind recently since we had an argument. We're in the middle of resolving it because I know I just cannot hold a grudge against my mom at all. She has an explosive personality that you would not pick up from the initial image or the images overlayed on this one. I love sharing this image around of my mom because I think she looks adorable. It's one of the only ones we have from her youth in Mexico. Funnily enough, although she doesn't like me sharing this single image, she loves sharing all the baby pictures she has of me. My relationship with my mom has recently become strained due to the simple fact that I'm not the little girl in the pictures anymore. She doesn't do my hair or dress me because I have a different way of wanting to express myself now. It hurts her a little bit that I'm growing I think. At least she has the photos to always look back on and reminisce!


2 comments:

final

There were some weeks where what I made didn't feel as meaningful as others. I had fun with everything I was writing about and sharing w...