Friday, October 23, 2020

i don't know how to frame

"The philosopher Jacques Derrida defined framing as a structure that is both present and absent" (117). I tried doing this in by using the fog around the boy as a sort of frame. It's kind of a subtle frame. It's not in your face like the thick outer edge border ones. I decided to use watercolor since I feel watercolor really isn't a medium that allows itself to be easily framed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGtkn_WHgHf/

I definitely think this quote: "Written language becomes a frame for the image" (121) would have been useful if I had added any words to this image! For example, if it said pandemic on the mask then it'd be very specific to our current world. Or the word "tired" could definitely be an expression of just how the person is currently feeling. I'm hoping the juxtaposition between dark and muted colors versus the bright yellow helps frame what people get out of this piece. This pandemic sucks; I think we can all agree on that. The person's mask is yellow, a brighter color, so maybe when someone else sees them on the street they go "oh hey! my favorite color, nice!" Even if the world sucks, there is still positivity in the little things and during this time I think we have to try harder to focus on the small things.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Yazmin! I love how you were able to create a frame with watercolor art because it's such a flowy form of media!! I think you were able to capture art perfectly because it is your art! Yellow is also my favorite color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a really personalized style that I appreciate, and I think you perfectly captured the mood of our current times in your illustration. It might be cool to add some more concrete framing elements like a window, sign, trees, a vehicle or something else but I also think it's fitting for the image to have the looser fog-like frame that you did.

    ReplyDelete

final

There were some weeks where what I made didn't feel as meaningful as others. I had fun with everything I was writing about and sharing w...