Friday, September 25, 2020

one line

    My inspiration for my video came from pages 42-43 of Ellen Lupton's Graphic Designs: The New Basics. I know that trying to do something with words wasn't going to work out for me like the stuff on pages 40-41. So my mind instantly thought of one line art. I picked up a pen and just let myself draw what came into my mind first. Whenever I do one line type pieces, they're always super messy! I think that adds to the overall charm of the piece of course. 

    I decided to go with a video to post on my social media since I think the process of art like this is always interesting to watch. 

The sketch in all its glory

    I think this section, specifically on lines, is what caught my attention most: "Graphically, lines exist in many weights; ... as the path of the mark determine its visual presence" (Lupton, 36). The drawing I made comes across as messy due to the lines crossing over each other. I didn't do a lot to the weight of the lines but I did go over many spots to get some darker areas like on the earrings or inner corners of the mouth. What I made was a portrait, I started with the nose before getting to the hair and making it super sloppy - to come off as short curly hair. I added little plants coming off the neck area, what do they mean? I wish I could tell you. They just kind of happened as I was trying to fill up some negative space. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the creativity you used in this drawing! In all its messiness there is a subtle beauty to it! Really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love one line artwork! The drawing may look relatively simple but creating shape in just one line is quite challenging. I really like your use of both sharp and curved corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you were able to relate the ideas of point, line and plane to a piece where you drew whatever came to mind. It is a beautiful piece of creative art.

    ReplyDelete

final

There were some weeks where what I made didn't feel as meaningful as others. I had fun with everything I was writing about and sharing w...